28th November 2015
The Epic Kayaks Doctor in Perth, WA is Australia’s most exciting ocean paddling event from Rottnest Island to Sorrento Beach covering 27kms (or vice versa depending on wind conditions).
We are pleased to once again have the support of Starboard for The Starboard SUP Challenge.
The event is scheduled to race on Saturday 28th November 2015 starting at Rottnest Island and finishing at Sorrento Beach. This will be reversed if strong off-shore conditions prevail. In the advent of dangerous conditions on Saturday the event will move to Sunday 29th November.
Craft is loaded the day prior to the event on a barge and transported over to Rottnest Island on race day. On the morning of the event competitors catch the ferry over to Rottnest Island which takes about 40mins. On arrival they unload their craft and prepare for the race. There are cafes on Rottnest Island to relax before the long paddle back to Sorrento Beach. The race start time will depend on weather conditions and shipping movements. The race is 27km starting from Rottnest Island and finishing at Sorrento Beach SLSC where competitors will enjoy the very best ocean paddling conditions. Please navigate through this website for full details.
Final race course and time will be decided on Friday evening at the pre race briefing. The races plans to start at Rottnest Island and finish at Sorrento Beach, however should the winds be blowing easterly then the course may be reversed.
The following events will also take place around the same time as The Doctor. Take advantage of travelling to WA by competing in all these events.
- Saturday 21st November 2015 – Fenn West Coast Downwind
- Thursday 26th November 2015 – Statewide Oil Sunset Surfski Series Race #1 (evening race)
- Saturday 28th November 2015 – The Epic Kayaks Doctor
- Wednesday 2nd December 2015 – Statewide Oil Sunset Surfski Series Race #2 (evening race)
- Sunday 6th December 2015 – Mandurah Duel
AUSTRALIAN CANOEING OCEAN RACING SKI NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS 2015
The Categories are as for ICF (International Canoe Federation) as follows:
- U 18 M&F
- U 23 M&F
- Open M&F
- 35+ M&F
- 40+ M&F
- 45+ M&F
- 50+ M&F
- 55+ M
- 60+ M
- 65+ M
The race details will be the same as for the Doctor, but National Championship medals will be presented to placegetters in the above categories subject to the following:
- Where there are limited entries in a particular category the following will apply:
- 1 competitor- 1 medal
- 2 competitors- 1 medal
- 3 Competitors- 2 medals
- 4 Competitors- 3 medals
- Medals will be awarded for singles only, no doubles.
- Any paddler resident in Australia is invited to register. You must be a financial member of the state affiliates of Australian Canoeing, i.e. PaddleNSW, CanoeingVictoria, Canoeing Western Australia, Canoeing Tasmania, Queensland Canoeing and Canoe South Australia.
- The Championship entry fee is $30. This is in addition to “The Doctor” entry fee and can be paid at the same time as you enter for “The Doctor”. If you are not currently a member of an AC affiliate you can join separately after entering the Doctor and the Champs. All memberships will be verified after entries close.
- All entries to the National Champs will have a sticker on the boat indicating that you are competing in an Australian Canoeing National event.
- Entries to the National Champs will close on Tuesday 17th November at 12 midnight.
Placegetters will be the nationally accredited AUSTRALIAN CANOEING placegetters for 2015
The AC Ocean Racing Committee looks forward to seeing you there!
Doctor 2014 – Event Video
Doctor 2013 – Fenn Nelo Ski Race
Doctor 2013 – Starboard SUP Challenge
Doctor 2012 – by White Hot Media
Thanks to White Hot Media.
Doctor 2012 – by Ocean Sports Media
The Doctor Video Promo
Want to visit the Doctor? Watch the promo to find out what it is all about.