Last updated: 4th April 2014
The program will be updated regularly. All times and events are subject to change. Please ensure you attend the race briefing on Friday evening for final instructions.
Please note: The race is scheduled for Saturday 29th November 2014, but has a two day window to be held. If the wind conditions are more favourable on Sunday 30th November then the race may be moved to that day.
Friday 28th November 2014
Breakfast at Sorrento SLSC
- Breakfast will be available from 7am onwards at Sorrento SLSC.
Craft Transport to Rottnest Island
- Oceanpaddler will be organising a barge to transport your craft over to Rottnest Island for the race.
- You must have booked and payed for craft transport during the online entry process. An additional late fee will be charged for anyone who does not pre-book and just turns up on the day to load their craft (pending spots available).
- All craft will be loaded on the barge on Friday afternoon at Fremantle. The exact location and time will be provided closer to the event.
- For those that have hired skis from Oceanpaddler, we will advise how your ski will be loaded on the barge when you pick up your hire ski. Please ensure you have booked craft transport as this is not included in your hire fee.
- It is a big job getting all the craft on the barge so please be patient when we do this.
- For skis and OC1s all rudders must be removed prior to loading
- For SUP’s all fins must be removed
- Bring straps to tie your craft on
- Bring some light padding to the barge such as old bits of foam etc
Registration & Briefing at Sorrento Beach SLSC
- Registration will open from 12pm to 6.30pm on Friday 28th November at Sorrento Beach SLSC. It is a good idea to register prior to taking your craft to the barge.
- The race briefing will take place at 6.30pm. All competitors must attend for final instructions.
- All competitors must attend registration to collect their timing chip. You cannot do this on race day.
- If you register on Friday and then decided not to do the race on race day you must call Dean Gardiner on 0427 171 403 to advise.
- You can enter the ‘Doctor’ on Friday at registration however a late fee will be charged. We encourage everyone to enter online before midnight Thursday 27th November.
- If you require a Flare you can order one when entering online and collect at registration (mandatory equipment).
- Sorrento Beach SLSC will have food and drink available.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: NO ALCOHOL is allowed outside of the club hall and BBQ area as this will be breaching the clubs licence policy. This includes no alcohol on the outside grass area. Thank you for your cooperation.
Saturday 29th November 2014 – Race Day
Ferry to Rottnest Island
- Competitors travel to Rottnest Island by Ferry. The ferry ride is about 40mins. Rottnest Fast Ferries are our preferred Ferry carrier. Ensure that you book your tickets early by contacting Rottnest Fast Ferries on 08 9246 1039 or visit http://rottnestfastferries.com.au/.
- We want all competitors to be on Rottnest Island as early as possible as the event may start anytime from 10am.
What to take to Rottnest Island
Take minimal gear to Rottnest Island, as what you take you will need to paddle back with! Do not take anything other than what you are paddling in or what can be thrown away on Rottnest as we are unable to bring any gear back to the mainland. Please ensure you use rubbish bins at Rottnest.
- PFD (Lifejacket)
- Timing chip
- Rudder for your ski and tools to attached your rudder
- Fluids for the race (you can purchase drinks at Rottnest if needed but it is strongly recommended to take water with you for both pre and during the race)
- Sponsor and race number stickers for your craft that will be provided at registration
On Rottnest Island
- When you arrive on Rottnest Island the barge will have arrived prior and be at the main jetty (see map below).
- We will need everyone’s help to unload the barge. It is each paddlers responsibility to make sure their craft is taken off the barge for the race.
- You can install your rudders at the Main Jetty and paddle over (south) to Army Jetty where the start will be.
- You must place the race number stickers and sponsor stickers on your craft once you get to Rottnest. These will be provided on Friday night at registration.
- There are some cafes to get food and water so you may wish to take some money.
Start Location and Times
- Start location - is at Army Jetty, Thompson Bay, Rottnest Island. See map location below
- The race will start immediately in front of the Army Jetty. The course will pass to the South of both Phillip Rock and Fairway Buoy. After rounding the fairway buoy it will be a direct line to Sorrento Beach. The details of the finish will be explained at the briefing. Click here for course map.
- Race briefing will be held at Army Jetty prior to the start.
- Start Times – The event will usually start from about 12.30pm onwards, however it may be as early as 10am. The start time is dependent on wind conditions and shipping movements. Therefore please ensure you get to Rottnest Island as early as possible and attend the briefing.
- There will be 3 start waves:
- Start 1 – SUPs
- Start 2 – OC1s ,plastics and ladies
- Start 3 – All other categories
- The race will finish at Sorrento Beach, outside the Surf Life Saving Club
Presentations Saturday evening at Sorrento Beach SLSC
- Sorrento Beach SLSC will have dinner available to purchase and cash bar will be open.
- Presentations will start from 6pm onwards.
- Please support the club that supports our event and join us for dinner and drinks.
ROTTNEST ISLAND MAP
Dean Gardiner 0427 171 403
Sherene LaGasse: 0427 174 472
Yanda Nossiter: 0414 454 648